A three-storey building, which was already marked for demolition by a building regulation agency in Lagos State, on Tuesday recorded a partial collapse in the Ojo area of Lagos.
There were, however, no casualties in the incident as residents had already deserted the building located at 21, Saka Okoro St., Ilufe Road, Alaba International Market, Ojo.
A portion of the building caved in on Tuesday morning, in a partial collapse.
However, government officials had commenced a full demolition of the building, as at the time of this report.
An official of LASBCA who sought anonymity said that all occupants of the eight flats in the building had been served demolition notices for some time and that they had vacated the building before it eventually caved in on Tuesday morning.
The spokesman, National Emergency Management Agency, Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, said that the collapsed building had been marked for demolition by the Lagos State Building Control Agency in the last three months.
Farinloye added that the building might not have collapsed if the owner had complied with laws pertaining to building regulations in the state.
“All residents of the structure had evacuated the building since Monday evening when it started manifesting distress signs.
“Operations are, however, ongoing at the premises for the retrieval of personal properties of the occupants,” Farinloye said.
However, the General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Mr Adesina Tiamiyu, said that an investigation conducted by the LASEMA team revealed that the building had shown some signs of being distressed.
“No lives were lost and no injuries were sustained in the collapsed building.
“As we speak, a recovery operation is ongoing by NEMA, LASEMA, LABCA and other stakeholders, to prevent any secondary incident of a full or total collapse that may lead to an unnecessary loss of lives,” he added.