How Dokpesi Made N2.1bn In 3 Months

A banker, Mrs. Zainab Ibrahim-Kokobili, yesterday, gave an account before the Federal High Court in Abuja, on how Chairman emeritus of DAAR Communications Plc, High Chief Raymond Dokpesi, got N2.1 billion from Office of the National Security Adviser, ONSA, three months to the 20m

Dokpesi is answering to a six-count charge the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, entered against him and his firm, DAAR Investment and Holdings Ltd, owners of African Independent Television, AIT and Raypower FM.

The anti-graft agency alleged that the defendants received funds from the ONSA for Peoples Democratic Party’s presidential media campaign.

According to the charge which was signed by the Deputy Director, Legal and Prosecution at the EFCC, Mr. Aliyu Yusuf, the fund was released to the defendants by the detained former NSA, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd) between October 2014 and March 19, 2015.

The funds were allegedly transferred from an account the office of NSA operated with the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, to a FirstBank of Nigeria Plc account owned by DAAR Investment and Holding Company Limited.

Meanwhile, testifying as the third prosecution witness, PW-3, yesterday, Mrs. Ibrahim-Kokobili, who is a relationship manager with the Maitama branch of a first generation bank, told the court that the defendants got a cash lodgement of N2.1 billion from ONSA between January and March 2015.

Led in evidence by the prosecuting counsel, Mr. Oluwaleke Atolagbe, the PW-3, told the court that Dokpesi was a signatory to the FirstBank account where the fund was paid into.

The witness said she had been Daar Investments and Holding Limited’s account officer since November 2014.

According to the firm’s statement of account which she read to the court, a total of N2.12 billion was paid to the defendants in four tranches of N500 million, N500 million, N620 million and N500 million between January and March 2015.

The witness said the balance on the company’s account was N113,885.28 before the first tranche of N500m was lodged into the account on January 22, 2015.

Trial Justice John Tsoho adjourned further hearing on the matter till May 24 and 25.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *